Saturday 27 October 2012

Networking: Ping TTL Calculation

Ping TTL Calculation.

Hi all I got a discussion in Cisco forum on calculating TTL (Time To Live) when we issue a ping command. Hope this might be of useful to the beginners.

Happy Learning.

Question: How I can calculate TTL in a ping command? I mean, if I've 5 Routers and a PC connected to Router 1 and another PC connected to Router 5. If I issue a ping from the host connected with Router 1 to the host connected in Router 5. How the TTL is calculated in this case?

Best Answer:


TTL is decremented of 1 for each node.

For example: if you have a "chain" 5 routers and you do a ping from Router 1 to Router 5 and TTL is 255 you will reach Router 5 whit TTL value of 251. If you set a TTL of 1 you will reach only the next hop router.



Please post your comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment